Monday, November 22, 2010

In excelsis cole slaw

Saturday's performance at the Clarkesville Chamber of Commerce Christmas Bazaar was a learning experience. The sound system was lousy. Elizabeth, Courtney and I had trouble hearing our accompaniment track many a time. And there was lots of ambient noise in the place. At one point during a pause in Courtney's lovely Magnificat solo, in which she expresses Mary's angst at being the chosen one, I heard the barbecue vendor nearby yelling, "Cole slaw! Potato salad! Baked beans!" It didn't exactly enhance the music! Would I do it again? Yes, I say--without missing a beat. The more I sing the more I understand that you can study and practice your tail off , but the performance is when the real learning happens. I know as a result of Saturday's experience, my next performance will be better. I do hope, however, that no one is selling barbecue there.

What was your most harrowing performing experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment